5 Tips to survive Long Distance Relationships

It’s not easy, and that’s an understatement. Long Distance Relationships need ten times more commitment. You really need to put in the hours and make time for it. While I currently don’t have a boyfriend living miles and miles away, I have had my fair share of experience in the past. Plus, LDRs aren’t limited to couples. Living all the way in Cebu (and being a nomad 80% of the time) has made it soooo hard to stay in touch with friends and family. I always miss special occasions at home, or spur of the moment barkada hang outs. So, I have interviewed some of my favorite LDR couples and we’ve come up with 5 tips to survive and win at Long Distance Relationships. Take notes!

1. Stick your tongue out (at fear!)

Don’t be afraid of being alone. Take it as an opportunity to grow as a person without being dependent on anyone else. You do your thing, he does his thing, and you both grow individually together. It’s actually quite healthy! Be strong. Don’t be annoying, whiney or extra clingy. Be the person he fell in love with or the person you would be proud of, despite the circumstances.

“If you want to live together, you first need to learn how to live apart.” – Anonymous

2. Share a smile… or a hobby!

Having something in common will make it so much easier to connect, especially when your lives are going different places. Say you both get into tennis. Even if you can’t play together, at least your little improvements in the sport can be something you guys will work on at the same time.

3. Don’t do anything stupid.

Relationships require honesty, understanding and compromise. Don’t do anything your partner wouldn’t be comfortable with. One fun night out is definitely not worth hours or days of arguments. Have fun, but avoid situations that could potentially put you in a pickle.

4. Sit down (and make a game plan).

Know where you want to be in X years. If you both are in sync, then it’s worth the distance. If not, you’ll know from early on if it’s going to work or not.

My #BloggerBesties and I are rarely ever all in town at once, but we make it a point to see each other whenever possible. We’re all very busy, but every Tuesday, we clear out our lunch schedules and make time for a weekly Tita Tuesdays gathering. Even if we aren’t complete, whoever is in town is REQUIRED to go. It really helps us keep in touch and not drift apart!

5. Stay connected. #LikeNeverBefore

COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE. Do it regularly, and creatively. With today’s technology, it’s so easy to stay in touch. We aren’t limited to snail mail or just voice calls anymore. With FaceTime, or Skype, or whatever messenger app you use, you can easily Video call each other, and share special moments even if you’re miles away! I like watching movies together while staying on Skype, so we can see how each other reacts! That takes up a lot of bandwidth but I’ve hardly ever had problems especially with Smart’s faster internet connection and wider network coverage. Found out about that here. (I’m so happy they improved the network in Cebu!!! Manila, Davao, CdO and other places too, but Cebu!!! yay!)

Hope these 5 tips help you guys out! Let me know if you have any more tips, would love to chat in the comments section below! Thanks for dropping by everyone! x

32 Responses to 5 Tips to survive Long Distance Relationships

1. Hennessy Hairo Labin says:

Omigad Ate Kryz!!! I am in a 4-year long distance relationship with my high school sweetheart and I totally agree with everything you’ve written above! Yes, we had a lot of very very rough times but when you love a person, your love just seem to prevail. Thank you for providing us, your supporters, with tips and things that we may actually utilize in our lifetime. Lot of love!!! <3

2. Elaine Villapando says:

#BloggerBesties are forever! Love you guys ❤ certified fan since 2013! Nice seeing you, Lauren and Nicole last Saturday on #SMStyleSeriesXBloggerBesties. Worth it ang travel from Laguna. Hope to see you guys complete on BU13!

3. Danica says:

Thanks for sharing this Gorg

4. Kaye Alid says:

Awwe thanks for this but no one na maka LDR with anymore nux maoy kaayo hahaha Still helpful!!!

5. demisensei says:

I love the quote you put in there Miss Kryz ❤️ To live together, you must learn how to live apart . Now experiencing an LDR with my boyfriend. And these tips are so true.

6. Gayle says:

I totally agree with all these tips. Distance doesn’t matter for a heart that loves someone so much. *wink* Thanks, ms. Kryz.

7. Jansell says:

Thank you for sharing this Kryz! Happy to know that you guys (#BloggerBesties) always make time for each other! Solid ng friendship! <3

8. Lynda Sibayan says:

Great tips,…LDR is worth, its worthy and we can survive, if there is a mutual love between love betwrrn the two, besides its a testing for both party , how they express thier love ,…to both, And I am doingnit now,really there is peace in good advices like these

9. nix shepa says:

Hi Ms Kryz, I always see you on FCC Cebu, always been a fan of yours, and I can really see how you and slater are sweet and growing individually – by means of seeing you guys do your own thing separately dili ng buhat tanan together. It is really inspiring. True on LDRs are not easy and still it’s an understatement, me and my boyfriend has been on a LDR situation and its really hard, and net week im flying overseas, mas ma LDR samot. jusko! ill just pray and keep reading this tips. :) thank you for inspiring Ms Kryz Uy. Btw, you’re sweet voice is adorable! <3

10. Vivian says:

One of my besties is all the way in America! Love these tips to make sure we stay connected!

Vivian | LIVE . IN . LOVE

~

11. Celia says:

It is always difficult but if you really want to, love can make everything.

12. Life Saver says:

Thumbs up for this ate kryz
    I’m into LDR and it’s not easy

13. CayoyG says:

I agree. I think the most important thing from the 5 tips is the no. 3. That will surely make or break a relationship. :)

14. Katrina says:

What camera was use in taking these photos?