How to do your eyes: A Make Up Class for Asian Monolids

I get a ton of requests to do make-up tutorials for my eyes, and I reckon its because I have Monolids- super small eyes without a double eyelid, that more often than not, are very difficult to transform. I’m no make up guru, but here are a few things I do to help make my eyes look- for lack of a better term- more alive.

EVERYDAY EYE MAKE-UP

The tricky thing about asian Monolid eyes is that the skin above the eyeball (obviously, I have no idea what the proper term for this is) tends to curl inwards and “swallow” the makeup. This is the reason why I apply a thick eyeliner line at the base of my lashes, as compared to double eyelids, who only need a millimeter of liner to add drama. It may look too thick with eyes closed, but once I open my eyes, the liner completely disappears, or only leaves a small hint enough to make my lashes look fuller.

Also, I find that the trick to making your eyes look bigger is to apply contouring. I put on a nude base, and blend in a light brown + soft gray from the outer corners following the natural crease of my eyes. In effect, you’re just darkening the natural shadow that would form over your crease. Make sure you blend well so it doesn’t end up looking too drawn on.

This is the end result. As you can see, the thick liner looks super thin with my eyes opened, and the eye shadow contour just emphasizes the eye’s crease. Of course, I made it extra thick this day so it would show better on the photo, but naturally, it just looks a little lighter.

EVENT EYE MAKE-UP

For the same reason I’ve mentioned above, I always apply a thick black base that starts at the top of my lash line. Smokey eyes are the most flattering to Monolids because the gradient effect easily opens up your eyes. In this photo, I did a black to pink gradient that blends smoothly upward. Because the bottom color of my gradient is really dark, the single eyelid is less noticeable. Your eye shape will look different depending on how you shape your gradient- upward, inward or outward.

This is how the it looks with my eyes open. Your eyes will look deeper and fuller (more mysterious, I might add) with this style of make-up.

If you’re an eye shadow newbie, don’t get intimidated by all the powder and mixing and piling up of colors! It may look really dark with your eyes closed, but again, the effect will definitely change with your eyes open, so make sure to keep adjusting accordingly. Sometimes I like applying eyeliner with my eyes open, just so I can gauge how thick or thin I want it to look with my eyes open. Lastly, Its best to practice before you go to bed, and re-do what you like tomorrow, so you don’t end up with a look you won’t like during the day!

Hope my tips were helpful! I’d love to hear how they did or didn’t help you, so leave a comment! <3

95 Responses to How to do your eyes: A Make Up Class for Asian Monolids

1. April says:

I love your blogs and i love your style. I too have monolid eyes. This tutorial really helped me when I attended a party. haha! I usually don’t put eyeshadows cuz I just don’t know how it would look good on me. But I really did it. I exactly copied yours and I’m glad cuz I got positive feedback. They liked it. haha! Thank you.

2. Ann says:

Hi Kryz! this really help me a lot! I have a Monolid eye too.. and Yah! we got the same problem and your tips help me a lot! Thanks!

3. mie says:

hi Kryz ! your post is very helpful ! gonna try this later ! :) btw i love your hair so much… may i know what brand and type curling iron are you using ? thanks a lot !

• Kryz says:

Thanks Mie, glad to help! :) Its not a curling iron, but a digital perm!

• mie says:

yeah im going to try your tutorial. but my eyes seems to have too much fat, LOL, my eyes doesn’t open widely like yours. haha.
        have you ever use any double eyelid tape maybe ?
        oohh i see… cos now im looking for curling iron, and i thought you use one too.. your hair is too gorgeous :) any suggestion for curling iron ?
        thanks a lot Kryz ! :)

4. eunicegomez says:

Hi Ms. Kry
    You are so fab! I super love your style! Super ingit ako! Im 17yrs old and i am now a mother. Kaya eto hanggang ingit na lang po ko sayo!

• Kryz says:

Thanks Eunice! haha wow! You can still dress up naman! No one will stop you hehe

• eunice says:

i dont think i can do that. yung pangbibili ko ng mga damit at sapatos na inaasam asam ko panggatas na lang ng anak ko. :| how i wish na magkameron din ako ng isa sa mga pinapangarap ko. thanks for the advice. GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS!

5. Scarlett says:

Hey dear i am so crazy about makeup but i have no proper training but after reading these tips i am feeling and will apply these tips for the next event. thanks

6. JUURI says:

Actually I thought this whole time you had double eyelids because you make your makeup so adorable! Great job! But I love the sultry look of monolids too… half my siblings have them and the other half have double eyelids. Heee!

7. martha says:

hey, do you have any tips for people with uneven eyes? :(
    it’s so hard putting makeup on my right eye since it has veeeerrry small lid.
    My eyeshadow just won’t show up :(

8. renchan says:

i learned a lot on this to make my eyes look dolly :]

9. Dee Tanjutco says:

Kryz! Same tayo, the eyeliner also disappears when I open my eyes. Haha! This was very helpful. Thank you. ;)

10. Dee Tanjutco says:

Kryz! Same tayo, the eyeliner also disappears when I open my eyes. Haha! Ganun siguro talaga kapag Chinese eyes. Oh! And this is very helpful. Thank you. ;)

11. Vida Lloren says:

Hello Ms. Kryz,

I super love your blog. It inspires me more to experiment on clothes mix and match. It’s nice to know more on makeup tips especially doing eye make-up. Same as you I have no crease or so called monolids. I have been doing that thick liquid eyeliner for so long but wanting to explore more on different shades that will suit my eye shape.

Thanks for the extra tip! :)

Further, I always wear mascara to open up and brighten one’s eye. :)

12. yuri says:

just came across your blog. and i love this one eyeshadow. i’ve wanted to do eyeshadow for years , but never did cause i’ve asian and have that single eye lid like you. no one could every help. but i tried this and it works great. thanks.

13. KC says:

Finally! Somebody who understands my problem! I’ve been looking for eye make up tutorials for monolids and i just cant seem to find something as specific as this! Thanks, Kryz! Love your blog! :)

14. Diane says:

Hi Kryz! I love your style ;) I’ve watched your tutorial on make up too :) btw where can I buy the naked eye palette? thanks so much :)

15. Sheri says:

Thanks so much, this was really helpful!

I always apply my eyeshadows in a gradient from left to right and it doesn’t look quite right. I never thought about having it from bottom to up!

I so agree with what you said, the monolid seems to “swallow” up the makeup, especially eyeliner! Haha :)