Bar soaps have been in the game for ages. It’s no secret each person uses a soap bar for daily hygiene and overall health.
Bar soaps are some of the best things you can use to clean your hands, feet, and skin. Be sure to use your bar soap correctly if you want to get the most out of it.
Find out how to use your soap bar the right way below!
How to Use and Store Bar Soap Correctly
1. Prepare Your Bar Soap
One of the best ways to prepare your soap bar is by keeping it dry when you are not using it to lather up your skin, loofah, or wash cloth.
The dryer it is, the longer it will last, so make sure you follow these soap bar tips once you’ve taken the bar out of the soap package or soap box.
- Let the soap bar cure for at least 6-8 weeks. This will ensure that all the ingredients are bonded together as tightly as possible.
- If you can’t wait that long, there are pre-cured soaps available on the market and if you buy those, then skip the first step altogether.
- Chop it into smaller pieces.
- Smaller pieces mean a smaller surface area for less soap to melt
- Save the rest of the pieces in a soap bag for future use.
Now, your soap bar should be ready and since you know how to use bar soap properly while you’re in the shower, it’s time to talk about how to best store your soap bars to make sure they last longer.
2. Store Your Soap Bars Correctly
Making them last comes down to how you store them. If you store a soap bar in a cool, dry container that promotes air flow, your soap will remain dry.
- The water can run off of the bar soap and dry the bar better on a soap dish.
- The more air circulation, the quicker the product will dry
- Try to choose a soap dish that has a lot of holes for air circulation purposes.
- Then as much as possible, try to keep the dish on the far end of the shower, somewhere away from the shower head.
Following these tips will make your soap last longer, saving you time and money in the long run.
3. Lather Up
The most important part of using your soap is to get a good lather going.
This applies if you prefer any of these methods:
- using your HANDS
- going DIRECTLY on the SKIN
- using OTHER SHOWER EQUIPMENT like a wash cloth or loofah
You would think that the simplest and easiest method is to use the soap bar directly onto the skin. However, that may not be the best way to maximize the use of your soap.
Your bare skin won’t allow the soap to get that lather that can come from using a washcloth or loofah.
What you’re going to want to do is:
- Get water to dampen the washcloth or loofah and rub it into the bar of soap a few times.
- Make sure to use cooler water because it helps create a lather faster.
- It’ll lather up in a few seconds, wait for big fluffy foamy bubbles.
- Scrub yourself clean.
- Scrub from your neck all the way down to the bottom of your feet – getting rid of any dirt that could cause foot odor.
Something to remember is scrub from the top going down – the reason this is one of the best ways to wash is that you can make sure that all areas of your body are completely soaped and rinsed off into the drain afterward.
If you use your bars this way, you will end up using less soap in the long run.
4. Always Keep Your Bar Clean
In the past, soap bars were said to have been bad for you. People said some areas could collect germs and bacteria.
Some made the switch from bar soaps to liquid soap or body wash because of this.
While we agree that our skin and hands contain thousands of tiny living microbes that could be transferred onto the bar, that doesn’t mean you can’t use bar soaps.
The only thing you need to do is rinse it off with water before using it, and you’ll be all set. Clean bar soaps are still a very convenient option if you don’t have access to body wash.
Other Points to Consider:
Find the Best Formula Your Skin Type
You always want to make sure to take care of your body. Depending on your skin type, one kind of soap may work better for you than another.
The important thing is to make sure to get sets of soap that work best for you and your skin type. That will depend on the uses that you need from it, whether it’s for your whole body, your hands, or for your face.
An effective formula should also be able to restore the natural PH balance of your skin.
Make a Permanent Switch to Bar Soap
There has been more of a push to use bar soap instead of liquid soaps or bath gels in recent years. Most people claim that soap bars can be more environmentally friendly.
Bar soaps are used up in their entirety, other than the box it comes in, once you’ve used up the bar, there’s nothing else to dispose of.
Suffice to say that soap bars are some of the best inventions in terms of health and hygiene. Their uses and ingredients help you smell good and feel healthy.
Soap bars are here to stay, so it should be in your best interest to know how to use them properly. As long as they’re used the right way, you won’t need anything else.
If you’re interested in a DIY recipe for hand soap, then you can also read through our article on How to Make Antibacterial Soap for Handwashing.
MORE BODY CARE OPTIONS: