Tired of having dull skin? Do you want that FAIR and FLAWLESS skin? Or do you just want to whiten any PATCHINESS in your skin?
We’ve all heard about Korean skin whitening creams and glutathione pills, but did you know that there are cheap and easy DIY methods to whiten your skin?
Sure, it may not DRASTICALLY change your skin complexion, but they help even skin tone and give you glowing skin!
Here are some skin whitening home remedies you can try!
DIY Skin Whitening Home Remedies
Here are some skin whitening home remedies you can do to get a fairer skin tone.
All of these use 100 percent natural ingredients, so you don’t need to worry about what you put on your face too much.
While all of these ingredients are natural, you have to be aware of your own allergies, and be wary of any allergic reaction.
1. Turmeric Powder and Yogurt
Yogurt is great for skin tone rejuvenation. You can consume it AND use it as a lactic acid mask, and it would both have amazing results.
The lactic acid in the yogurt acts as a natural bleaching agent.
You can use yogurt alone as a face pack as well. Just apply plain yogurt to your face and wash it off with cold water after 15 minutes.
Turmeric inhibits the production of melanin and gives an even skin complexion. This would help with skin brightening and fix an uneven skin tone!
To use this uneven skin tone remedy,
- Mix the turmeric with yogurt until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Then apply it to your face as a mask.
- Do not apply yogurt if you are allergic to dairy.
- Do a patch test to make sure it’s safe.
Dark spots on the skin could be a result of dryness.
They have anti-bacterial properties, thus preventing the development of acne and fading acne scars and age spots.
It can also be ingested as a complementary medicine for sore throats.
Dip a Q-tip in some honey and use it to treat dark spots and acne scars.
3. Papaya, Bananas, and Honey
Whether you eat it or use it as a mask, papaya can do AMAZING things to your skin.
It brightens the complexion and also acts as a natural bleaching agent.
It contains alpha-hydroxy acids and papain which helps to get rid of impurities.
Bananas have a high level of antioxidants, helping to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming, and are loaded with nutrients.
Here is how you can make papaya and honey into a mask:
- Chop and mash the papaya with a banana.
- Add honey
- Apply to the skin
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water and let pat your skin dry.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, therefore they can act as a skin lightening agent.
Not only is it great for beauty, but it’s also great for your immune system.
Consuming oranges daily can keep your skin soft and smooth, and the immune system healthy. There’s nothing more attractive than a healthy glow!
Orange juice can be used in face packs. You can also incorporate orange juice into your diet to get the most out of it.
But don’t forget about the orange peel!
The tannins, antioxidants, and polyphenols in orange peels make it an effective remedy to LIGHTEN SKIN TONE.
So you can also use the orange peel as an exfoliant for your face.
5. Lemon Juice
The high citric acid works as a natural bleach, and vitamin C promotes the cultivation of healthy skin cells.
Lemon juice is also rich in antioxidants that help to improve skin tone and complexion. This is great for treating freckles and oily skin.
- You just have to dilute lemon juice with water before applying it to your skin as a face pack.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it off with warmed water.
- Alternatively, you can use a cotton pad to spot treat parts of your face.
CAUTION: Lemon juice can cause irritation. Do a patch test before trying this.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel has cooling and anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for skin lightening and treating hyperpigmentation.
You can lighten your skin tone while soothing it. Aloe vera leaf extract has potent skin depigmenting agents.
Aloin, an active ingredient in aloe vera, promotes melanin aggregation in the melanophores, which leads to skin lightening.
Here’s how you can use it:
- Apply aloe vera to your face and neck like a mask
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse your skin with tepid water.
7. Cucumber Extract
Cucumber is very commonly used in skin care.
Since it’s a good source of vitamins A and C, cucumber helps immensely with keeping your skin hydrated.
They also inhibit melanin synthesis and sebum secretion, thus helping with whitening and preventing acne!
Cucumber helps to make the skin firm and supple due to its collagen-binding action. It also helps in cooling, and can be used by all skin types!
To reap the benefits, just grind a cucumber and apply the juice to your face and neck. You can rinse it off after with cool water.
This will help you achieve clear skin!
This home remedy can treat various skin problems. They are applied directly to the skin to get rid of rashes, dryness, and eczema.
Oats help to absorb any excess oil. It can also remove dead skin cells by exfoliation. This helps lighten your skin tone and provide softness
Apply cooled cooked oatmeal onto your face as a mask. You can wash it off after 10 to 15 minutes, or when it dries up. Or eat it…kidding!
9. Cumin Seeds
Cumin helps to prevent premature aging symptoms and acts as an antioxidant to combat free radicals that cause the skin to age.
Cumin can also help treat acne-prone skin, skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis, and removes toxins. This whitening method can be used EVERY DAY for effective results.
Boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds in two cups of water and use the concoction to wash your face. Watch this concoction lighten your skin in no time!
10. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood contains natural skin lightening agents. Using sandalwood for whitening as a home remedy is an age-old practice.
To use this, you will need some other ingredients.
- Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood with one tablespoon of almond powder.
- Add some milk until it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your skin.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with tepid water.
- Moisturize well after.
This will definitely help you achieve a lighter complexion.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconuts seem to be miracle workers. They help with hair, health, and now skin whitening!
- Mix a tablespoon or two with a few drops of lemon juice (use more if you want to cover your entire face)
- Apply the mixture to the area you want to brighten.
- Rinse with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
Use this EVERY NIGHT before bedtime to see results.
12. Potato Juice
Potato juice can lighten skin WITHOUT causing any damage.
They are rich in vitamin C and infused with antioxidants, thus acting as a mild bleaching agent while removing dead skin cells.
Here’s how to get the benefits from potatoes.
- Peel one potato and cut it into TINY pieces.
- Rub the potato pieces on the affected area you want to lighten so the juice spreads.
- Leave the juice on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
You can also grate the potato, squeeze the juice out, and apply it with a cotton pad.
You can store the juice for up to 4 days, and even leave the mask on overnight for EVEN BETTER results!
13. Rice Flour and Milk
Rice flour is one of the best ways you can whiten your face naturally. It helps to protect from sun damage and early signs of aging.
Milk nourishes and soothes the skin.
Mixing these two ingredients will give you a youthful glow!
- Just mix rice flour with milk until it forms a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your face after with warmed water.
14. Rose Water
This acts as a mild astringent on your skin. It makes your skin soft and helps to soothe irritated skin.
To use this, just add a few drops to any home face pack, or to any of the previous remedies mentioned.
How DIY Skin Whitening Home Remedies Work to Whiten
If you were wondering how these natural remedies can help deal with skin tone darkening, then here is your answer.
They make your skin brighter by dealing with a few issues.
Dead Skin Cells
Some DIY remedies help by getting rid of old dead cells. Dead skin normally shows up darker and patchy.
So by getting rid of these dead cells, you are essentially getting fairer and smoother skin.
Inhibiting Melanin Production
Some DIY remedies can inhibit the production of a pigment called melanin. By doing this, it essentially makes your skin pigmentation lighter and fairer.
Another ingredient called Arbutin, is also famously known for being great at reducing melanin production in the skin.
Taking Care of Your Skin Health
Prevention is key. And if you don’t want to have dark spots on your skin, then the best thing to do is to not get them at all, to begin with!
- Minimize your exposure to the sun. This means staying in the shade if possible, wearing non-comedogenic sunscreen, and wearing protective clothing like a hat, sunglasses, or long sleeves.
- Keep a GOOD skin care routine. Check out some hydroquinone creams that you can use!
- Remember what you put in your body eventually shows on the outside. If you want to keep your skin healthy and fair, you should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, and have a balanced diet. Doing these can also prevent early skin aging.
- Workout regularly. It helps your skin health by increasing blood circulation, which will make your skin glow!
Time to Get a Natural Glow!
The journey to fair skin is one that many are on. These DIY remedies should help you achieve that bright glow that you’ve always wanted.
Besides that, if you have uneven skin complexion, these remedies also have the ability to even skin tone.
Just remember, that beauty comes from the inside. So stay healthy and confident, and you will radiate!
August 18, 2021 – Updated article formatting and content
July 15, 2021 – Reviewed and updated article links