How to do your eyes: A Make Up Class for Asian Monolids

I get a ton of requests to do make-up tutorials for my eyes, and I reckon its because I have Monolids- super small eyes without a double eyelid, that more often than not, are very difficult to transform. I’m no make up guru, but here are a few things I do to help make my eyes look- for lack of a better term- more alive.

EVERYDAY EYE MAKE-UP

The tricky thing about asian Monolid eyes is that the skin above the eyeball (obviously, I have no idea what the proper term for this is) tends to curl inwards and “swallow” the makeup. This is the reason why I apply a thick eyeliner line at the base of my lashes, as compared to double eyelids, who only need a millimeter of liner to add drama. It may look too thick with eyes closed, but once I open my eyes, the liner completely disappears, or only leaves a small hint enough to make my lashes look fuller.

Also, I find that the trick to making your eyes look bigger is to apply contouring. I put on a nude base, and blend in a light brown + soft gray from the outer corners following the natural crease of my eyes. In effect, you’re just darkening the natural shadow that would form over your crease. Make sure you blend well so it doesn’t end up looking too drawn on.

This is the end result. As you can see, the thick liner looks super thin with my eyes opened, and the eye shadow contour just emphasizes the eye’s crease. Of course, I made it extra thick this day so it would show better on the photo, but naturally, it just looks a little lighter.

EVENT EYE MAKE-UP

For the same reason I’ve mentioned above, I always apply a thick black base that starts at the top of my lash line. Smokey eyes are the most flattering to Monolids because the gradient effect easily opens up your eyes. In this photo, I did a black to pink gradient that blends smoothly upward. Because the bottom color of my gradient is really dark, the single eyelid is less noticeable. Your eye shape will look different depending on how you shape your gradient- upward, inward or outward.

This is how the it looks with my eyes open. Your eyes will look deeper and fuller (more mysterious, I might add) with this style of make-up.

If you’re an eye shadow newbie, don’t get intimidated by all the powder and mixing and piling up of colors! It may look really dark with your eyes closed, but again, the effect will definitely change with your eyes open, so make sure to keep adjusting accordingly. Sometimes I like applying eyeliner with my eyes open, just so I can gauge how thick or thin I want it to look with my eyes open. Lastly, Its best to practice before you go to bed, and re-do what you like tomorrow, so you don’t end up with a look you won’t like during the day!

Hope my tips were helpful! I’d love to hear how they did or didn’t help you, so leave a comment! <3

95 Responses to How to do your eyes: A Make Up Class for Asian Monolids

1. Kimberly G. says:

indeed! your tips are so helpful, you should have your Youtube channel ms. Uy :)

2. Joyce Cani says:

Hi Kryz! Thanks for the tips :) I have also monolids, having hard time to put the right make up on my eyes. haha btw, what brand of eye make-up do you usually use? for eyeliner and eyeshadow? Thanks again! :)

3. i have monolid eyes too, and i actually do what you also do, only with nude and brown eyeshadows.

I LOVE THIS POST, miss Kryz :)

4. dom says:

i was wondering if you, camille co and laureen uy have monolids, and i guess this answers my question! :p i have monolids too and used to hate it because i don’t know how to put eyeshadow on and eye liner tends to smudge since it “swallows”(lol) my bottom lids. now that i know how(after a million searches in google and youtube) people like it and ask if i can do it to them.obviously no cos it comes out differently. :)

5. duchess says:

Hi!your tips are just what im looking for.Ill just ask what kind of brushed you use to make a perfect blending for your eyeshadow.thanks:))

6. Anna Calvan says:

Thank you so much for the tips! I’m really having a hard time on what to do with my eyes to make it look bigger. This blog post encouraged me not to give up on applying make up to my eyes :D

7. Anna Calvan says:

8. Om K. says:

ohhhh i’ve been waiting for this. thank you, you look great!

9. Errieka says:

Thank you for sharing Ms. Kryz. Big help. :)

10. oreo says:

you look amazing! i really love your fotd and your lipcolor!

11. i love how it looks and the blending of the color is perfect. pretty :)

12. Lindy ngo says:

Hi kryz! Can u post ur pic without eye makeup? Just wanna see before amd after picture. Tn!x!

13. Jenn says:

love your makeup kryz! :)