Getting conscious of your fine lines and wrinkles?
As you age, your skin texture and color will inevitably change and your usual makeup routine MIGHT not do you any justice anymore.
(Not to mention, beauty standards for women evolve over time too.)
In this guide, we’ll help you understand how different makeup tricks can SMOOTHEN out wrinkles around the mouth!
How to Hide Mouth Wrinkles with Makeup
You don’t need to be a professional makeup artist to magically make your wrinkles disappear.
Here are some SIMPLE WAYS makeup artists hide wrinkles.
1. Skincare is Always Key: Moisturize!
A BASIC MUST-HAVE in skincare that can never be left out is a hydrating moisturizer.
- Make sure to cleanse your face first to remove all the dirt and oils.
- Apply a generous amount of moisturizer on your face and neck.
Keeping your skin hydrated helps plump up the lines around your lips, making it look FRESH AND DEWY.
One of the best-kept makeup tricks that makeup artists do is using EYE CREAM above or beside the lip line before putting makeup.
If you tend to have oily skin, you could always use a GEL MOISTURIZER to balance it out without drying.
You could also exfoliate TWICE A WEEK. Having a gentle scrub will remove dead skin cells, making the moisturizer penetrate your skin seamlessly.
2. Upgrade Your Routine with a Silicone-Based Primer and Foundation
To keep up a SMOOTH appearance, your new best friend is a silicon-based primer.
A silicone-based primer fills in the fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth while simultaneously retaining your skin’s moisture keeping it plump and dewy.
The silicone acts like a water sealing agent while still being lightweight. That’s why it’s popular for both Korean and American makeup routines.
- Make sure your face is CLEAN AND MOISTURIZED first!
- Apply a small PEA-SIZED amount of the primer directly on the lines on your face and neck.
- BLEND it in with a beauty blender or your fingertips.
- Top it off with a thin layer of a silicone-based foundation.
- Avoid using full coverage foundation as it might not blend in well with the primer.
- You could also choose to use a water-based primer as an alternative.
Most makeup tips from beauty gurus will tell you to finish off with powder, but one of the best product recommendations would be a matte foundation instead.
The powder tends to absorb moisture from your skin making your face and makeup look dry. That’s why it can highlight the lines on your face.
If you really need to, you can dab a LIGHT AMOUNT on your nose and cheeks. Avoid putting it on wrinkly surfaces like your lips and around the mouth.
3. Keep It Supple with Lip Balm
You can use regular lip balm as an alternative to moisturizer.
- Apply lip balm ABOVE AND AROUND the corners of your lips to fill in fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
- But when you do use lip balm, make sure you’re NOT going to put other makeup over it. It might end up caking and accentuating the creases when you pout.
You can also use a lip pencil to line the outer edge of your lips. This helps highlight your lips making the above lip area look smooth.
- Use a NUDE LIP COLOR that matches your skin tone.
- Dark shades tend to highlight your mature skin (depending on skin tones) more making the lines more noticeable.
4. Smooth It Out with a Concealer
If you really need to wear makeup, use a concealer to effectively cover the vertical lines around your mouth.
- Make sure to dab on some moisturizer and primer first.
- Apply a small amount of concealer (most preferably cream-based to avoid caking) with a foundation brush or with your fingertips.
- LIGHTLY press the concealer onto the creases and blend.
- Swipe in a neutral-colored lip liner to prevent your lipstick from bleeding onto the lines around your mouth.
You can use a light sheer concealer for a smooth appearance. Avoid putting powder around the mouth. It just ends up caking making your lines more visible.
Ways to Get Rid of Wrinkles Around the Mouth:
We can’t completely prevent getting old. The lines will inevitably appear one day.
But you could always delay and slow down the process!
Having a good skincare routine and keeping your face moisturized is the best way to go.
- Wash your face TWICE DAILY with an oil cleanser and a mild cleanser.
- Use sunscreen daily!
- Exfoliate twice a week to remove dead skin cells.
- Finish every night with beauty products like serum and moisturizer.
- Always keep yourself hydrated with water.
You could also resort to permanent anti-aging fixes such as:
- Chemical Peels
- Collagen Induction Therapy
CONSULT YOUR DERMATOLOGIST so you know what the best aesthetic treatment is for you.
What Causes Wrinkles Around the Mouth?
Over time, the collagen production of our aging skin decreases causing sagging skin and wrinkles. No one is spared!
Collagen is essential as it provides elasticity and hydration to our skin. The lack of it causes all the wrinkles to appear on the skin.
Our habits also affect how our mature skin would end up. If you’re a smoker, mouth wrinkles will most likely appear easily.
What If I Can't Get Rid of My Lip Lines?
If nothing seems to work, you can resort to more permanent fixes. You can consider using injectable fillers to fill in wrinkles and give your lip a fuller look.
This process is also called lip augmentation, and we suggest you consult your dermatologist first to help you review all possible options.
Aging is natural and the wrinkle lines are unavoidable. For us women, it’s understandable to look 30 when we’re 40.
With a few tweaks to your makeup routine and beauty products, you can blur them out and have no worries! Just be sure to balance it all out and don’t wear too much makeup. It’ll be overkill.
There are a lot of temporary and permanent fixes you can do. Consult your dermatologist to see what will work best.
We hope these makeup techniques were able to help you gain more confidence.
September 6, 2021 – Improved article formatting, reviewed and updated overall content
July 19, 2021 – Reviewed and updated article links