From having basically problem free skin my whole life, I woke up one day to discover a sandy rough texture on my skin. No matter what I did, it didn’t go away and only became worse. This is how I fixed it.
It happened when I was in Bali for a quick trip. My skin suddenly started to feel like there was some sort of weird texture on it. At first, I actually thought it was sand on my face since we went to beaches a lot. This scared me since I’ve never had any issues with my skin before.
The cleanser that I bought with me was an exfoliating cleanser, and I used it every day, thinking that it would relieve my skin but instead – it made it worse!
To soothe my irritated skin, I stopped wearing make-up for quite some time and tried out different and new products in the hopes of healing the bumpy and dry texture on my skin. I was all over the web searching and even consulted a dermatologist for a remedy and after some time I finally found out that the real culprit to why my skin felt so sandy and dry was because I over-exfoliated my skin.
Yes, it’s true – there’s such thing as over-exfoliating. Think about how your skin is similar to soil on land. If it’s too dry and you try to scrape the layers off, it will eventually flake off. The constant rubbing on your skin will strip off all its moisture which will then lead you to have that sudden sandy skin texture.
Here’s how to quickly relieve bumpy skin:
1. If you’re having the same problem right now, then you need to STOP EXFOLIATING.
Overdoing it will cause micro tears into your skin. They’re like tiny wounds that would cause irritation and inflammation!
2. You need to rehydrate and moisturize your skin! This is key to enhancing skin texture.
The product that worked best for me was Aloe Vera, which was extracted straight from a plant in my garden. I cut it in half and scraped the gel off the leaf and used it as a mask, leaving it on for 15 minutes before washing it off. I did this for three [to] four days straight and it really made my skin feel a lot better.
To prevent all of this from happening,
1. Instead of using physical exfoliators like apricot scrubs, coffee scrubs or sugar scrubs- try a chemical exfoliant that’s good for daily use. Chemical exfoliating cleansers have Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) and Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA) that are secreted from natural and plant-based products. That way, you won’t end up being too abrasive or rough on your skin, and over-exfoliating won’t be a problem.
There’s a bunch of good Korean exfoliators you can easily purchase online. They’ll smoothen your skin in no time.
You might also want to try these products out:
2. If you have sensitive skin and you want to shy away from using chemical exfoliators- use your regular gel cleanser with a cleansing brush to make sure you’re really getting the gunk out of your skin.
I recommend these products:
Foreo Luna Play
It’s a sonic face cleanser & massager that allows effective deep cleansing and massaging and is made to remain gentle on your skin. Something about it being a smaller size makes it handier and easier to use!
Buy yours on Amazon here
It’s the one device that offers multiple benefits for cleansing, anti-aging, exfoliation and more. This will definitely up your skincare game and will help you achieve that healthy and glowing look.
Buy yours on Amazon here
3. For instant relief, try to use products that are gentle on your skin. It’s sometimes better to go back to the ones with much simpler ingredients to help alleviate further irritation onto the skin.
Cetaphil Cleanser via Amazon
This product is super gentle on your skin and has a mild, non-irritating formula perfect for all skin types!
Cerave Moisturizer via Amazon
This product is perfect for those who have dry and sensitive skin. It’s mild, doesn’t contain any irritants and has a watery formula that helps glide and absorbs better onto your skin.
Kiehl’s Aloe and Calendula mask via Amazon
This lightweight gel face mask has this cooling hydration formula that instantly calms your skin down. I swear this one will soothe your irritated skin!
*Disclaimer: KryzUy.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. We receive compensation from companies whose products and services we recommend.