I’ve been writing a lot more these days. I’m sure some of you have noticed that my blog is now bustling again. 😂 Even when I feel so busy and the day is too hectic, much like today- I still try and find time to write my thoughts and insights down. It makes me calm and content. More importantly, I want to be able to look back at this moment in my life and remember exactly how beautiful it feels to be in love- a real kind of love. I want to look back with a grateful heart. And hopefully sharing these insights with you can also help you in your relationships- one way or another.
As I work my way around married life, I’ve picked up a few realizations that have made me appreciate the relationship I have with Slater so much more. Here are the 12 things I wish for you to know before you get married. I hope you’ll find them helpful too. More in depth discussion on the vlog. Enjoy!
1. Both of you are not perfect, and that’s okay.
When you start dating someone, you find yourself picking up similarities that will make you believe that you have met your best match. You find yourself agreeing on things, disliking the same stuff… and you’ll fall deep into the fantasy that nothing will ever go wrong.
But surprise, surprise, life (in general) doesn’t work this way. Married life is not always rainbows and cupcakes.
No matter how in sync you guys are, marriage will throw in a few things in your way that you might take differently – but that’s okay!
2. Conflict is not ALWAYS unhealthy.
3. Give with selflessness.
4. Respect your differences.
5. Little gestures matters.
6. Getting married won’t solve your problems.
7. Live your own lives outside marriage.
8. Embrace change and do not fight it.
9. You’re not only marrying him but the entire family.
10. Don’t take advice from other couples to heart.
11. Have “the Financial talk”.
12. Never forget the reason why you married your other half in the first place.